What is Web-driver?
WebDriver is one of a web automation framework which is used for testing. It allows you to execute the tests against the different browsers like Firefox, Chrome etc. WebDriver also enables you to use a programming language in creating your test scripts which is not possible in Selenium IDE. In WebDriver we can use conditional operations like if-then-else or switch-case and also perform looping like do-while.
Programming languages supported by WebDriver are as follows:
It is not that one who is learning WebDriver should know all of them. One should be knowledgeable in any one of the languages.
What is Selenium RC?
Selenium RC is an important component in the Selenium test suite which was most widely used before the invention of the WebDriver. It is a testing framework that enables a QA or a developer to write test cases in any programming language in order to automate UI tests for web applications against any HTTP website.
Selenium RC includes of two parts:
- Client libraries for the preferred computer language
- A server that launches and kills browsers automatically
Difference between Selenium RC and Webdriver
Before the invention of WebDriver in 2006, Selenium Remote Control was used. Both WebDriver and Selenium RC have following features alike:
- Selenium RC and Webdriver allow you to use the programming language in designing your test scripts.
- They also allow you to run your tests against different browsers.
Then How do they differ? Let’s discuss about the difference between Selenium RC and Webdriver
WebDriver’s architecture is simple when compared to Selenium Remote Controls. It controls the browser from the Operating System level. Programming language’s IDE are needed which contain the Selenium commands and a browser.
Selenium RC’s architecture is more complicated the Web Driver:
- First of all it is needed to launch a separate application called Selenium Remote Control Server before testing is started.
- The Selenium RC Server acts as a middleman between the Selenium commands and browser
- Once it is injected, Selenium Core will start receiving instructions relayed by the RC Server from the test program.
- The browser needs to obey the instructions of Selenium Core and it must relay its response to the RC Server.
- The RC Server will receive the response of the browser and then display the results to the user.
- RC Server will fetch the next instruction from the test script to repeat the whole cycle.
3. Real-life Interaction:
Selenium RC’s API is more mature than WebDriver but contains redundancies and also includes confusing commands. For example, testers are confused often whether to use type or typeKeys; or whether to use click, mouseDown, or mouseDownAt . Different browsers interpret these commands in a different way. WebDriver’s API is simpler than Selenium Remote Control. It does not contain redundant and confusing commands.So, WebDriver API is preferred than Selenium RC’s.
5. Browser Support:
WebDriver supports the headless HtmlUnit browser. HtmlUnit is defined as “headless” because it is an invisible browser and also it is GUI-less Browser. It is a very fast browser because time is not spent in waiting for page elements to load. This accelerates the test execution cycles.Iit is invisible to the user so that it can only be controlled through automated means. Selenium Remote Control cannot support the headless HtmlUnit browser. It needs a real, visible browser to operate on than the Selenium RC’s.
Benefits of Selenium WebDriver:
- Selenium WebDriver is one of the most popular Open-Source tools and is easy to get started with for testing web-based applications.
- It also allows you to perform cross browser compatibility testing.
- Supports multiple OS like Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix, etc.
- It provides compatibility with a range of languages including Python, Java, Perl, Ruby, etc.
Limitations of WebDriver:
WebDriver Cannot Support New Browsers. WebDriver operates on the Operating System level. Different browsers communicate with the Operating System in different ways. If a new browser is introduced, it may have a different process of communicating with the OS as compared to other browsers. WebDriver teams gave some time to quite some time to figure that new process out before they can implement it on the next WebDriver release. However, it is in the hands of the WebDriver’s team of developers to decide if they should support the new browser or not.
WebDriver is most widely used nowadays when compared to Selenium RC. It plays a vital role in automation testing. Companies also prefer the WebDriver for testing because it is in the trend. So there is a huge scope for the candidate who is an expert in Selenium WebDriver. Selenium certification adds benefits to the profile. There are many Selenium Certification training in chennai.
To gain the certifications there are best selenium institutes in chennai If you are fond of learning WebDriver then there are many best selenium training in chennai. The Selenium course in chennai will guide you to learn the WebDriver concepts in-depth and help you to build a strong career.